Re: layout idea

From: David Hyatt <hyatt@apple.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 18:40:13 -0500
Cc: www-style@w3.org
To: Jonathan Snook <jonathan.snook@gmail.com>
On Mar 13, 2009, at 3:54 PM, Jonathan Snook wrote:

> I've spent a little time over the past week working on an idea. I
> don't know if it's viable or not or whether something like it has
> already been proposed (besides Advanced Layout and the Grid module).
> But it never hurts to pitch my own stone into the pond.
>
> Matrix Layouts:
> http://snook.ca/technical/matrix-layouts/
>
> Along with the accompanying blog post:
> http://snook.ca/archives/html_and_css/matrix-layouts
>
> Good or bad, I look forward to some feedback.
>
> -Jonathan Snook

I like the idea of a grid/matrix layout, and I certainly prefer what
you've specified (as well as the grid proposal from Microsoft) to the
ASCII art approach in CSS advanced layout.

I'd rather just see a position:grid value and then use some kind of
grid unit in conjunction with left/right/top/bottom.  I think that
could achieve the same effect and feels more natural to me than the
two pairs of numbers crammed into the position property.

For example:

position:grid;
left: 1gr;
top: 1gr;

To put the object's top left corner at the top left corner of row 2
column 2 (assuming 0-based row/column access).

Stretching across the whole first row would be as easy as:

position:grid;
left:0;
right:0;

Width and height could be specified in grid units as well (there would
be a fair bit to work out though regarding how the overall row/column
widths/heights got determined).

dave
(hyatt@apple.com)