Re: Cascading Style Sheet Animations?

From: Dean Jackson <dino@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 06:00:07 +1100
Cc: David Singer <singer@apple.com>, Oscar Godson <oscargodson@gmail.com>, www-style@w3.org
To: robert@ocallahan.org

On 11/03/2009, at 5:51 AM, Robert O'Callahan wrote:

> I'm not really sure what the intended use cases of CSS Animations
> are which aren't in that class and aren't covered by CSS Transitions.

I think of CSS Transitions as a way to get an animation-like effect
when changing the style of elements. The end state is not animated,
but you want to show that it has changed.

CSS Animations are for the case where there really is some animation
in the current state. For example, on OSX when you launch an
application an icon bounces in the dock until it has loaded. That
animation is very much part of the style of the icon at that time - it
shows the user that something has happened, and it is not a transition
between two end point values. Also, the duration is not fixed (and
therefore could not be achieved by keyframes on transitions). Similar
examples are the spinning beach ball/pizza or progress spinners in web
applications.

Dean