Comment on Selectors LCWD

From: Krzysztof Maczyński <1981km@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2009 23:28:03 +0000
To: <www-style@w3.org>
Dear WG,

I think the disticntion (detailed in chapter 11) between how selectors of the form prefix\:NCName are interpreted by down-level clients (should rather be called user agents anyway) and agents compliant with this spec is unnecessary. Since there can be no colon in a prefix or local name, the element type selectors (and attribute selectors, by the same way) containing a colon (impossible in direct syntax, but achievable e.g. with the backslash escape) can work independently of the provisions form namespaces described therein. This wouldn't break existing content. If broken, it would be so completely, as this functionality is the only one available in CSS currently. I see no reason for this, so please don't introduce this gratuituous incompatibility which doesn't give or enable anything new, only takes a feature away.