Re: [CSS2.1] Yet another white-space issue with anonymous table objects

Brad Kemper wrote:
> I can imagine a reason: because the HTML source is in proper semantic
> order, but not in ideal order for the design, or there are many
> alternate style sheets for the same general HTML, and you want to move
> the middle block, perhaps even move it off screen, or have it appear to
> the right as a sort of tool tip when you hover over the body.
>
> I think it is a reasonable expection that the two table cells act like
> siblings and that a div stuck between them does not act as a defacto
> "new row" marker.

For what it's worth, that's not the behavior in any of Gecko, Webkit, or
Presto.  I won't comment on whether it's what the spec expects, since my
point was that the spec is completely unclear on the matter.  I _can_
tell you that implementing the behavior you suggest would be quite a bit
of a pain in Gecko...  I can't speak to other CSS implementations.

In any case, the concept of "sibling" as used in section 17.2.1 really
needs a rigorous definition.

-Boris