Re: [OpenType] advanced font features in CSS

From: John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 05:05:41 -0700 (PDT)
To: www-style <www-style@w3.org>, opentype-migration-list <opentype-migration-list@indx.co.uk>
Hi Paul,

> I would like to propose that W3C might consider something like what I did for WPF.
> (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.windows.documents.typography_properties.aspx)
>
> The thought behind the approach I used was to make the naming to be technology independent.
> Thus, any smart font technology, i.e. AAT, Graphite, OpenType, etc., can be used to implement the layout.

The WPF approach is definitely interesting, that's why I included it in the list of references.
Some properties/values are directly based on those in WPF.

The one downside is that it leads to a *lot* of properties, I was hoping to put together something
simpler.  For example, do you think all the ss## properties need to be separate boolean
properties, as in WPF?

Cheers,

John