Rotating column headers

From: Keryx Web <webmaster@keryx.se>
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2009 11:01:45 +0200
To: www-style@w3.org
Hi

With CSS transformations I have finally found a way to rotate column
headers in order to save space. I have put it into experimental use for
FFox 3.5 at:

http://keryx.se/resources/html-elements/

(Apologies to Webkit: I will add support soon.)

Without this feature my table gets really wide and will cause excessive
horizontal scrolling for most users. It also helps trying to fit the
table on a paper for printing.

This is a very clear use-case and a standard feature in all spreadsheet
software.

I have described my technique at
http://itpastorn.blogspot.com/2009/05/rotating-column-headers-using-css-only.html

As you can see my method is quite a hack and very fragile and I can't
use the same values for Gecko and Webkit.

It seems to me that there should be a way to achieve this result that is
easy and stable. Has this been discussed and if so can someone point me
to that discussion?

--
Keryx Web (Lars Gunther)
http://keryx.se/