Re: New work on fonts at W3C

From: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 20:22:28 -0700
Cc: Jonathan Kew <jonathan@jfkew.plus.com>, Aryeh Gregor <Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com>, www-style@w3.org
To: robert@ocallahan.org

On Jun 25, 2009, at 3:22 PM, Robert O'Callahan wrote:

> So browsers that send incorrect headers would fail to work with
> linked fonts in this scenario? That seems like something browser
> vendors might be willing to fix.
>
> The big problem is that some firewalls strip Referer headers because
> they don't want to reveal URLs of internal pages. For example,
> ifhttps://intranet.mozilla.com/Orbital_Mind_Control_Lasers.html
> links to http://www.nasa.gov, Mozilla might not want
> nasa.govadministrators to see that URL in their Referer logs. So
> Referer is not really fixable.

So the result would be that the Mozilla intranet would see the NASA
pages without NASA's embedded fonts, then right? For a lot of site
authors, this might be acceptable, or they might send you a second-
choice open license font instead. I wonder if it would be acceptable
to the font publishers. It would not be that different from sites that
block de-referred browsers from seeing their images.