Re: New work on fonts at W3C

From: Jonathan Kew <jonathan@jfkew.plus.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 22:48:23 +0100
Cc: www-style@w3.org
To: Thomas Lord <lord@emf.net>
On 24 Jun 2009, at 21:31, Thomas Lord wrote:

> To be sure I understand:
>
> Do all (conforming) TT rendering engines or only
> some extended engines handle this form of compression?

[i.e. Monotype's CATT]

All. Composite glyphs have been part of the spec for as long as I can
remember. Maybe you'd like to read it before getting involved in
discussion of technical matters. http://www.microsoft.com/typography/otspec/glyf.htm

(I wouldn't refer to this as "compression", really, any more than I'd
regard the use of functions in typical programming languages in
preference to writing out the same code fragments over and over as
being "compression".)

JK