RE: New work on fonts at W3C

On Wednesday, June 24, 2009 1:19 PM Brad Kemper wrote:

> On Jun 24, 2009, at 9:05 AM, Levantovsky, Vladimir wrote:
>

> > So you are saying that
> > - you would rather continue serve EOT to IE and raw TrueType to
other
> > browsers,
>
> No, but that won't change until Microsoft starts supporting the same
> formats as Firefox, Safari, and Webkit. If they are going to start
> supporting font formats that they don't currently support, then they
> should start with OpenType and TrueType, absolutely.

This is exactly the problem I am trying to solve. Why is that someone
has always have do what someone else has done, even if there is no
consensus for it. It was not okay for EOT to be supported by other
browsers because we didn't reach a consensus, and we do not have a
consensus with OpenType and TrueType either.

We could be much better off if we get out of the trenches and adopt a
position that, as Aryeh said, may not be ideal but can work and would
satisfy all parties involved.

Regards,
Vladimir