Re: New work on fonts at W3C

From: Aryeh Gregor <Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 17:06:58 -0400
To: "Levantovsky, Vladimir" <Vladimir.Levantovsky@monotypeimaging.com>
Cc: Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>, CSS 3 W3C Group <www-style@w3.org>
On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 4:07 PM, Levantovsky,
Vladimir<Vladimir.Levantovsky@monotypeimaging.com> wrote:
> I don't think there is a universal @font-face/raw font support at this time.

As soon as Firefox 3.5 and Opera 10 are released and displace their
predecessors, there will be universal support for @font-face if and
only if you're willing to serve both EOT (for IE) and raw OTF or TTF
(for everyone else).  So, there will be soon.  A year, or two years,
or something like that.

As for the rest . . . well, clearly getting a format everyone can
agree on would be nice.  I think that's the key thing.  Discussion
always seems to veer off into *why* various vendors have various
requirements, rather than *what* those requirements are and what
formats might satisfy everyone.  Which is a shame, because it means
nothing gets done.

I suggested in my first post to this thread not to argue about what
features would be ideal, because nobody's going to agree on that (as
opposed to agreeing on what features would be acceptable sacrifices,
for the sake of getting a single format).  But I seem to have
forgotten that myself.