RE: New work on fonts at W3C

From: Chris Wilson <Chris.Wilson@microsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 16:11:29 +0000
To: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>, Christopher Slye <cslye@adobe.com>
CC: "robert@ocallahan.org" <robert@ocallahan.org>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
Brad Kemper wrote:
>A paper clip used as a substitute for a padlock might fit some legal
>definition of protection I suppose, but practically speaking its not
>going to do much at all from keeping a burglar from breaking into your
>home. It might possible convey the intent of not wanting unauthorized
>people to open the door though. That's really about all you can hope
>for from EOT "protection".

And if that's enough for font vendors, and they're happy to license the use if you put a paperclip on the door, what's wrong with putting a paperclip on the door?

At any rate, I don't think it's a paperclip.  It's a "no trespassing" sign.  Or a "welcome all visitors" sign, or a "no soliciting" sign, depending on usage.  Those are important, IMO.

-Chris