Re: New work on fonts at W3C

2009/6/20 Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>:
> On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 4:32 AM, Dave Crossland <dave@lab6.com> wrote:
>>
>> Isn't that lack of control what made the web not become yet another failed
>> hyperetext system a la xanadu?
>
> are you arguing that cross-origin image loads made it successful? I think
> not,

I first saw the web in 1997, so wasn't there, but from my reading of
history, I understand that a general principle of the web was a lack
of control over copying and linking - academia was paying for
everyone's bandwidth, so there was no reason to build controls into
the technology. Cross origin image linking is one application of that
general principle.

I'm happy to be corrected.

--
Regards,