Re: New work on fonts at W3C

From: Aryeh Gregor <Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 14:51:52 -0400
To: Dave Crossland <dave@lab6.com>
Cc: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>, "Levantovsky, Vladimir" <Vladimir.Levantovsky@monotypeimaging.com>, John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>, www-style@w3.org
On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 2:20 PM, Dave Crossland<dave@lab6.com> wrote:
> You appear to have shown that Akamai is invisible to browsers for the
> puposes of @font-face :)

As long as you use an alias for the domain name, yes, certainly.  I
didn't mean to imply otherwise.  I was only observing that Akamai is
not *completely* invisible to the UA as Vladimir suggested -- the user
can easily tell if any given site is using it or not.  (This might not
have been totally on-topic.)

You could always choose not to use the same domain name for your
CDN-hosted content, however -- maybe to stop cookies from being
transmitted to third-party sites?  In this case, you'd have to add the
extra domain to your font files before it would work, but of course it
would work if you did that.  I can't see how root strings would break
down completely if you used caching servers.