RE: New work on fonts at W3C

From: Levantovsky, Vladimir <Vladimir.Levantovsky@MonotypeImaging.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 11:29:28 -0400
To: "John Daggett" <jdaggett@mozilla.com>, "Brad Kemper" <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Cc: <www-style@w3.org>
On Thursday, June 18, 2009 11:06 PM John Daggett wrote:

> Things like machine-readable lists of domains are equivalent to a root
> string solution, like EOT, and suffer the same problems: moving the
> font file around between different servers (e.g. stage to production)
> requires constant updating of the font data, is difficult to work with
> locally (e.g. drive/path inclusions in EOT spec(!)), and breaks down
> completely when used with caching servers (e.g. Akamai).

Root strings allow multiple different domains and paths be encoded in the same font resource - specifying all stages (including local drives) in your content development path should work just fine, without updating web font data. And I would be curious to know how Akamai breaks it, since it's supposed to be completely invisible to UA.