RE: Outline Numbered Lists

From: Dylan Just <dylan.just@ephox.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 18:23:39 -0400
To: "Giovanni Campagna" <scampa.giovanni@gmail.com>
Cc: "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>, <www-style@w3.org>
These workarounds are great, but they are all complicated. Yes,
separation of style and content is a good thing, but the 'style'
attribute is a practical necessity when you don't have access to the
stylesheet or a <style> block - this is simply a constraint placed upon
us by most CMS vendors. In most cases, we only have access to edit the
contents of the <body>. Stylesheets are generally managed by an entirely
different subsystem.

Even with the workarounds available, and regardless of content vs style,
it would still be useful to have a simple css attribute as a 'shortcut'
to set this common style. If I can set a normal bulleted/numbered list
with one css attribute, why do I need 3-8 to create an outline numbered
list?

Counters and ::before provide useful flexibility for general cases. What
I'm suggesting is a simple shortcut for a common use case.