Re: New work on fonts at W3C

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 16:05:48 +0200
To: Fran├žois REMY <fremycompany_pub@yahoo.fr>, "Dave Crossland" <dave@lab6.com>
Cc: "Mikko Rantalainen" <mikko.rantalainen@peda.net>, www-style@w3.org, "Thomas Lord" <lord@emf.net>
On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 15:44:43 +0200, Fran├žois REMY <fremycompany_pub@yahoo.fr> wrote:
> But if this idea seems acceptable to the UA's builders, I think it could
> be a good solution, too.

To be honest, I don't really see how this proposal is new from other proposals that have been going around.

Also, it seems not all commercial font vendors are taken aback by the lack of obfuscation:

  http://blog.typekit.com/2009/05/27/introducing-typekit/

Seems more worthwhile to wait until browsers with support for OpenType/TrueType are more widely deployed and see what people come up with before discussing/considering yet another format with questionable benefits.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/