Re: [css3-images] The image fallback syntax + new image types

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 14:00:12 -0500
To: Giovanni Campagna <scampa.giovanni@gmail.com>
Cc: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, www-style@w3.org
On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 7:25 AM, Giovanni
Campagna<scampa.giovanni@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/6/10 fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>:
>> Giovanni Campagna wrote:
>>> In addition, I propose to add support for one color images. This would
>>> be especially useful in background, if you can stack multiple
>>> partially transparent colours, with some covering only the content,
>>> some the padding area and some the whole border box. Also, now that
>>> border-images can be wider than the box, using colour images is useful
>>> to avoid hacks with common borders and negative margins.
>>
>> I don't understand the use case.
>
> Basically, one may want to add different background colors to the
> content box, to the padding box and to the border box. This can be
> achieved using various background layers with corresponding background
> clip/origin, but you need an image per box. If you want only pure
> colors, using a color-image() syntax may be more performant.

I'm also still not sure what the *use* of this is.  What are you doing
that requires applying different backgrounds to the content-box,
padding-box, etc.?  As usual, a description of what you want *added*
isn't nearly as useful as a description of what you want to *do*, as
the latter allows a discussion of existing and alternate methods to
achieve your aim.

>>> Lastly, I propose to specify gradients, that WebKit currently
>>> supports, or as an alternative, to provide references to SVG paint
>>> servers.
>>
>> The WG has not discussed or agreed to add gradients yet, so it's
>> not in the draft. It would fit in this module, however.
>
> I hope that the WG will discuss it, either now or when discussing CSS
> Image Values Level 4.

Since WebKit already has decent experimental gradient support, and
many of us authors *do* want this sort of thing, I expect it'll show
up in Image v4.

Fwiw, I currently use a PHP script to generate gradient images for me,
as I use them all over the place.  Having the support directly in CSS
would be significantly easier, as my script is somewhat limited in
functionality.  I can extend it, but it still requires an author to
have the script and an appropriate version of PHP available, and a
network round-trip for the image.  However, just having the ability to
programatically create gradients is a *huge* help when designing
sites, as it doesn't require a trip to GIMP, setting the size right,
saving it, naming it something descriptive, and then uploading it to
the server.

~TJ