Re: Proposal: background-image-opacity or background-opacity

From: David Hyatt <hyatt@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2009 16:15:29 -0500
Cc: Giovanni Campagna <scampa.giovanni@gmail.com>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, Mark <markg85@gmail.com>, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>
To: "www-style@w3.org list" <www-style@w3.org>
Transitions on images is a feature that has been requested for WebKit
often.  Here are some requests we've gotten about it:

(1) The ability to transition between two gradients by actually
running transition functions on the colors and stops.

(2) The ability to transition between non-gradient images by doing a
cross-fade (or from/to a gradient and non-gradient).

(3) The ability to specify other types of image transitions (could
probably be done with a new transition property that had a simple list
of possible transitions, e.g., dissolve, fade, etc.)

(4) We've also had discussions about how transitions could be used
internally to possibly implement Vista-style control transitions,
since those are essentially just image fades as well (albeit between
two OS-rendered images).  This could involve saying that the CSS3
"appearance" property transitions somehow.

dave
(hyatt@apple.com)