Re: [CSS3 gcpm] CMYK colors and allowed values.

On Jul 31, 2009, at 10:59 AM, Thomas Phinney wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 5:42 AM, Chris
> Murphy<lists@colorremedies.com> wrote:
>> But better RGB handling is needed for paper-based publishing as
>> well. There
>> *are* RGB output devices. All desktop inkjet printers are RGB for
>> example.
>
> Well, sort of. Their drivers require data to be sent to them in RGB
> form... which they then proceed to translate internally to CMYK (or
> perhaps CcMmYK in some cases, which may or may not go through CMYK
> first), since their actual imaging model is CMYK based.

They are profiled as RGB devices. Their color space is defined in RGB
in every practical way and using them is considered an RGB workflow.
The conversion to the various colorants is a black box in which we
have little control and can't see inside. Their actual imaging model
is DeviceN unless there are exactly 4 inks that are cyanish,
magentaish, yellowish, and black.

Chris Murphy
Color Remedies (TM)
New York, NY
Co-author "Real World Color Management, 2nd Ed"