Re: [CSS3 Colors] HSL colors, hue and allowed values, [CSS3 gcpm] CMYK colors and allowed values.

From: Thomas Phinney <tphinney@cal.berkeley.edu>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 22:00:56 -0700
To: "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 8:33 PM, L. David Baron<dbaron@dbaron.org> wrote:
> On Thursday 2009-07-30 19:21 -0700, David Perrell wrote:
>> CMYK is not a perceptual color spec. CMYK specifies halftone screen values
>> to be used in offset printing. How it is eventually perceived depends on ink
>> manufacture, printing press adjustments, paper stock, lighting and other
>> variables. I don't understand why the CSS spec should be concerned with
>> CMYK.
> For what it's worth, I agree that CSS shouldn't have CMYK, and
> when that part of the CMYK draft came up in group discussion, I
> think there was more opposition than support.

I'm curious, do browsers actually do color management with RGB colors
today, treating them as sRGB and doing further things with that

Personally, I use unmanaged CMYK quite frequently and am happy to do
so. I have a CMYK printer, and for certain purposes I often want to
specify things just in terms of ink proportions so as to get
relatively "clean" colors to act as spot colors (e.g. printing a true
50%K 100%M with no other colors mixed in due to color management).
However, I won't claim to be the typical CSS author, and I don't know
that I'd use unmanaged CMYK in CSS very often.