Same here. I think that if we are anticipating a future 'border-
shadow' and/or fuller 'drop-shadow' property, and want to change the
current 'box-shadow' as little as possible, then we should not try to
recreate what those future properties would do inside border-image. We
should just drop the undesirable rectangular rendering of box-shadow
on border-images, and let the separate, more complete shadowing
properties take on the task of rendering shadows for images, dashed
lines, backgrounds, foreground elements, etc.

I can easily imagine a separate 'drop-shadow' property that has
similar sytax to box-shadow, and includes another keyword to indicate
what it applies to (everything, just borders of all styles and kinds,
everything but contents, just background images, etc.).

Sent from my iPhone