Re: [CSS3 Colors] HSL colors, hue and allowed values, [CSS3 gcpm] CMYK colors and allowed values.

On Jul 29, 2009, at 2:10 PM, Ludger Buenger wrote:

> Chris Murphy wrote:
>> I'd like to read of some examples of these "some applications of
>> CSS".
>
> To generate PDF/A compliant PDFs from HTML cmyk is required in
> conjunction with ICC profiles. PDFreactor rendering engine is such
> an application that does that.

PDF/A does not require CMYK. Content can be RGB, Gray, Device-N, or
CMYK, or any combination thereof in a single PDF/A document.

If CMYK is used, since it is device-dependent, a valid PDF/A must
contain a valid CMYK ICC output device profile embedded within it, so
that any CMYK content is effectively device-independent and can be
viewed correctly.

It seems to me a rather bad idea to be creating a descriptive page
language that allows users to use a device-dependent color model
without being able to define an appropriate color space. Passing the
buck to the application, which must then make assumptions about how to
render the result correctly, is a recipe for random results with every
CSS rendering application. Is that what you want?

In my view, it is manifestly inappropriate to be defining color in
untagged CMYK. And in a PDF/A context it's not even allowed.

Chris Murphy
Color Remedies (TM)
New York, NY
Co-author "Real World Color Management, 2nd Ed"