Re: [CSS3 Colors] HSL colors, hue and allowed values, [CSS3 gcpm] CMYK colors and allowed values.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 29, 2009, at 9:25 AM, Chris Murphy <lists@colorremedies.com>
wrote:

> With inkjet, digital presses, and electrostatic printers, why would
> CSS need to specify color in CMYK?

Back when I primarily worked on print design and prepress, I would
specify flat colors in CMYK and use pre-separated CMYK image files
(sometimes with extra channels for spot colors, varnishes, etc.). It
gave me a higher level of control and predictabilty. The people I know
who still work primarily in print still prefer to work in CMYK, even
with digital production, for the same reasons. Even with
electrostatic, the toners are most often CMYK.

> It's an extremely device dependent color space.

Yes, but in many situations the device is known (again, not talking
about serving Web pages to the public), or the results are good enough
and still more predictable than with converting from RGB (especially
where gamuts do not overlap).

> The color you get depends on the device, paper, inkjset, ambient
> temperature and humidity, etc.

Are you saying that all those varables are going to be part of the ICC
profile for the printer? Even if true, it does not cover trying to
print colors that are in gamut for CMYK but not RGB.

> Is CSS being used as or integrated into output device languages?

I think Prince uses CSS to create PDFs for printing, and supports CMYK
already.