Re: [CSS3 Backgrounds and Borders] Proposal for combining border-break and background-break

On Jul 23, 2009, at 2:32 PM, David Hyatt wrote:

>>> I definitely see the use for this ability, but it's nothing that
>>> can't
>>> be done by putting a background on a container element instead.  I'd
>>
>> Putting a background on the container element would get you a very
>> different
>> effect.
>>
>> The bounding-box effect is similar to the tables example here:
>> http://fantasai.inkedblade.net/style/discuss/table-backgrounds/edge.gif
>> Imagine we just have the first row, and each box is a column rather
>> than
>> a table cell.
>> Here's the concept rendering for that image:
>> http://fantasai.inkedblade.net/style/discuss/table-backgrounds/edge-d.gif
>>

> Yeah, that's not a particularly compelling use case to me.  The
> background broken up by spacing between the columns just looks weird
> to me... the effect would be prettier if the background had just
> been on the container and didn't just vanish between the columns.

A horizontal gradient might be a little more compelling as a use case,
if the gradient is meant to align with a non-broken box above or below
it. The effect in fantasai's example might also look less weird if
there was another background image (such as a ghosted version) on the
whole container which it aligned with.

But in general, I share David Hyatt's concern that the advantages of
having two properties may not outweigh the extra complexity. A single
property would be simpler and more intuitive in use.

>> What bounding-box does is draw a rectangle that includes all pieces
>> of
>> the element--without moving those pieces around--and then clips out
>> the
>> parts of the background that are needed to inside the element's
>> boxes.
>>
>> You can see some interesting effects with gradients. See
>> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2009Apr/0131.html
>>

> Yeah, I know what it does.  I'm just arguing that it's not
> particularly useful (and would look especially funny with inlines).

I wonder if "bounding-box" can be a value for "background-clip", where
it would act the same as "border-box", except in cases involving
broken boxes and "box-break: each-box"? I haven't put a lot of thought
into this idea yet, but it seems like it would work, be simpler than
the current draft, and satisfy most or all use cases.