Re: [css3-background] box-shadow and border-image

From: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 18:14:24 -0700
Cc: www-style@w3.org
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>

On Jul 23, 2009, at 2:41 PM, fantasai wrote:

> From the original discussion with roc and hyatt, the suggestion was:
> * For outer shadows, create the drop shadow from the combination of
>   an assumed-opaque padding box and the alpha channels of the parts
>   of the border image outside the padding box. Then only paint the
>   drop-shadow outside the padding box.
> * For inner shadows, create the drop shadow from the combination of
>   an assumed-opaque "everything outside the border box" and the
>   alpha channels of the border image within the border box. Then
>   only paint the drop-shadow inside the border box.

Its an interesting idea, although it seems to me that inner shadows
should be based on the padding box, not the border box. The "cut-out"
part (even without border-images) is formed by the inside of the
border, and it would seem pretty odd to me in most cases to have a
rectangular hole around the outside, with my irregularly-shaped border
floating above it.

Alternately, you could let "background-clip" determine whether you use
the border box or the padding box for shadows of either sort. If we
adopted this idea.