Re: [css3-background] should radii be capped?

Håkon Wium Lie wrote:
> Also sprach Brad Kemper:
>
>  > I also agree with fantasai and Tab. I would not want a "quarter-circle-
>  > cornered rectangle" turned into an oval, except as as last resort (a
>  > square box would eventually become a circle, but at least the corner
>  > shapes are maintained).
>
> Let me show you one screenshot of what's currently possible in Opera
> where we do not cap radii as be the WD:
>
>   http://people.opera.com/howcome/2009/tests/border-radius10.png
>
> The source code is here:
>
>   http://people.opera.com/howcome/2009/tests/border-radius10.html
>
> The two first boxes are possible to achieve in the current WD, but not
> the rest. We're prepared to start capping, but I think the issue
> deserves some discussion.

The issue has already seen much discussion, not just here but the
last time it came up. It's closed, we have a resolution on it,
and I do not want to reopen.

Please note that the use case for border-radius is to round the
corners of a CSS box. It is not designed or intended to create
wacky shapes. The details of its behavior should be optimized
for the use cases it was designed to solve well, not the use
cases it can be hacked to sort-of solve.

~fantasai