Re: [CSS21]9.5 Float

From: Zack Weinberg <zweinberg@mozilla.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 11:27:24 -0700
To: szukw000@arcor.de
Cc: www-style@w3.org
szukw000@arcor.de wrote:

> I have to make some proposals for corrections regarding the
>
>      Cascading Style Sheets Level 2 Revision 1 (CSS 2.1) Specification
>      W3C Candidate Recommendation 23 April 2009

No comment on anything else, but ...

> LAST PROPOSAL:
> ==============
>
> As far as I know, "there's" and "can't" and "isn't" are spoken
> English. They should not appear in a written specification.

... this is not true.  Contractions are perfectly fine in formal
written English.  "There's" is more informal than the contractions
involving "not", but still fine.  *Avoiding* contractions in writing
makes the text sound stilted, sometimes to the point of disfluency.

Neither should one mechanically contract everything that *can* be
contracted -- authors may choose one possible form over another to make
the text flow more smoothly, or to express a subtle shade of meaning.
For instance, if I had written "this isn't true" above the emphasis
would have been wrong.

zw