Re: Stacking order question

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 10:38:34 -0400
To: Ben Cotterell <ben.cotterell@antplc.com>
Ben Cotterell wrote:
>> This appears to have been clarified since the last public draft.
>
> Not just clarified, changed. It now says positioned descendents are part
> of the parent stacking context. Previously they only were if they had
> z-index of not auto.

In Appendix E....

>> Note also that section 9.5 has similar verbiage:
>>
>>    The contents of floats are stacked as if floats generated new stacking
>>    contexts, except that any positioned elements and elements that
>>    actually create new stacking contexts take part in the float's parent
>>    stacking context.
>
> Yes, it used to say:
>
>    The contents of floats are stacked as if floats generated new
>    stacking contexts, except that any elements that actually create new
>    stacking contexts take part in the float's parent's stacking context.
>    A float can overlap other boxes in the normal flow

As I said, the last public draft says the same thing as the current
internal draft.  I can definitely believe that it got changed from some
precious draft, sure.

> Anyway, thanks very much for your input. We'll go with the latest public
> draft and I should stop working from my slightly out-of-date pdf.

Er... yes.  Some of the changes that have been happening are pretty
fundamental to the way you'd design things, if implementing from scratch....

-Boris