Re: [CSS21][css3-namespace][css3-page][css3-selectors][css3-content] Unicode Normalization

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 16:18:02 +0100
To: "Jonathan Kew" <jonathan@jfkew.plus.com>
Cc: "Richard Ishida" <ishida@w3.org>, "'L. David Baron'" <dbaron@dbaron.org>, public-i18n-core@w3.org, www-style@w3.org

I don't have much to add to my previous e-mail, apart from this.

On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 16:02:02 +0100, Jonathan Kew <jonathan@jfkew.plus.com>
wrote:
> It seems to me that this issue is similar to that of Internationalized
> Domain Names, where it certainly isn't considered acceptable for there
> to be canonically-equivalent names that are treated as distinct.

Program code and IDNs are very different. Actual end users have to
interact with IDNs so it makes a lot of sense not to allow effectively
identical names to be registered as that would open up all kinds of
spoofing issues (apart from the spoofing issues IDNs already enable). End
users do not deal with program code.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>