Re: :nth-col() extension

From: L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 18:11:59 -0800
To: www-style@w3.org

On Tuesday 2009-01-27 19:59 -0600, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> Assuming for a moment that the :col() pseudoclass were planned for
> implementation, would :col(:hover) (and presumably :col(:active) and
> :col(:focus)) pose any substantial problem?

I see the use case for :hover, but I'm having trouble inferring from
that what you'd want :active and :focus to do here.

That said, I think it might be better to have a different selector,
since I'm somewhat uncomfortable making :hover mean something
different inside :col().  In other words, we add a :column-hover
pseudoclass that matches any table-column one of whose cells is in
:hover, and then :col(:column-hover) matches any of those cells.

> PS: While I'm here, it feels a little better for a :col or :nth-col to
> instead be ::col or ::nth-col, that is, for it to be a pseudoelement
> rather than a pseudoclass.  This might seem weird (<col> is a real

No, it's definitely a pseudo-class, since it's something that
applies to an existing element (a cell).

-David