Re: [css3-values] value syntax

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 17:21:59 -0800
To: "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>
CC: www-style@w3.org

L. David Baron wrote:
> On Tuesday 2009-01-27 14:02 -0800, fantasai wrote:
>> I think we should copy over the definition of our syntax notation in CSS2.1
>> section 1.4.2.1 <http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/about.html#property-defs> into
>> the CSS3 Values and Units spec... and add a definition for a '&&' combinator
>> which is equivalent to '||' except both sides are required. This will make
>> it easier to describe various compound value syntaxes.
>
> For what properties do we have cases where multiple values are
> required that can come in any order?
>
> (Those that require multiple values but in a specific order should
> just use separation by whitespace.)

Can't think of any off the top of my head, but there are two places
in Backgrounds and Borders where there are two values that can come
in any order, but one of them is required.

It looks like: required || optional
and then the prose needs to say that 'required' is required. With
&& this can be written: required || optional?

~fantasai