Re: [css3-background] stacking order of border image

From: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 14:47:17 -0800
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Cc: HÃ¥kon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>

On Jan 26, 2009, at 11:53 AM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
wrote:

> Rather, I'd like to use the jpg image directly and just set a
>>
>>    background on the element to cover the man:
>>      div {         background: black;
>>        border-image: url(picture.jpg) 125 125 125 125 stretch
>> stretch;
>>      }
>> So, how about placing the background from the 'border-image' be at
>> the
>> bottom of the stack instead? Or, perhaps even simpler, just clip the
>> middle part of the borders image (the one rectangle which is not used
>> as a border)?
>
> If it's really an issue, we can add an 'empty' keyword to trigger
> omitting the center part of the image. Or change the behavior and
> have 'fill' require filling the middle.
>
> Do any web designers have an opinion on this?

I can see the point about jpegs, but my view is that I would ALWAYS be
editing the images in an image editing program like PhotoShop anyway,
so cutting out the middle and using a transparency-supporting format
like GIF or PING is really no big deal. . Whether doing fancy borders
or fancy buttons, I am likely going to want transparency. Even with
the picture frame example, which is rectangular,  I would likely edit
it so that each side had only one small repeating segment. So I would
already be using PhotoShop, where I can cut out the middle easily. .