Re: [css3-background] stacking order of border image

On Jan 25, 2009, at 6:08 PM, Håkon Wium Lie wrote:

> - however, I'm not sure if I like the described behavior, for several
>   reasons:
>
> 1) it seems counter-intuitive that 'border-image' should override the
>    more purpose-built background properties
>
> 2) at a more practical level, the described behavior will create more
>    manual work. Consider this image:
>
>     http://people.opera.com/howcome/2009/tests/borders/picture.jpg
>
>    I'd like to use the frame in the picture in other contexts. To do
>    so, however, I need to edit the picture to:
>
>    -- remove the man inside and replace him with a transparent field
>    -- save it in a format that supports transparency (i.e., not jpg)
>
>    Rather, I'd like to use the jpg image directly and just set a
>    background on the element to cover the man:
>
>      div {
>        background: black;
>        border-image: url(picture.jpg) 125 125 125 125 stretch stretch;
>      }
>
> So, how about placing the background from the 'border-image' be at the
> bottom of the stack instead? Or, perhaps even simpler, just clip the
> middle part of the borders image (the one rectangle which is not used
> as a border)?

I brought this issue up a while back as well.  I proposed adding an
additional parameter to border-image that would indicate whether or
not the middle part of the border's image should be clipped out.  I
still prefer it as the solution to this problem.  If I recall
correctly, the general response was "just use transparency."

dave
(hyatt@apple.com)