Re: [css3-background] does border-radius round the border-image ?

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 04:06, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jan 22, 2009, at 6:57 PM, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Could you elaborate on this example a little?  In various browsers I see
>>> that the abspos markers are not rendered on the left.  However, this seems
>>> to me a bug
>>
>> Perhaps. But when I see the same thing in every browser I test with, it
>> makes me question if it is really a bug or if I just don't know why it's
>> doing it.
>>
>>> (after all, vertical overflow on the ancestor UL is set to visible) and
>>> not related in any way to the presence (or otherwise) of the scrolling
>>> mechanism.  Am I missing the point here?
>>
>> Well, the bug does not appear unless overflow is hidden, scroll, or auto
>> on the ancestor "UL" DIV. Thus my point that  "scroll" or "auto" does not
>> always mean the contents will be visible, even baring influence of ouside
>> elements.
>>>

> I forgot to add that even IE8 exhibits the same behavior, so I really tend
> to think it must be a "feature, not a bug". Or an unanticipated side effect
> of a feature.

I think that's according to the specs and is ultimately caused by
section 9.4.1 in the CSS 2.1 spec [1]. See also the other ongoing
thread about "Block formatting context and floats" [2]. Setting
overflow to something other than 'visible' creates a new block
formatting context. Since you can't both create a new BFC and not
create one, 'visible' can't always be combined with other values. In
fact, at the very bottom of section 11.1 in the CSS 3 box model draft
[3] it mentions that some combinations are not possible. The
'overflow-x' in your example gets a computed value of 'auto'. See also
Bruno Fassino's overflow tests [4].

Jorrit

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html#block-formatting
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2009Jan/0383.html