Re: [CSS21] Concern about anonymous table objects and whitespace

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 11:51:37 -0600
To: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Cc: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, www-style@w3.org

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 11:41 AM, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com> wrote:
> Also in the wild are items with "display: table-cell" whose parent elements
> do not have any table-* display values. Such as this one:
>
> http://www.ehow.com/how_4623385_use-css-display-table-cell-property.html
>
> ...which was the #6 result in my Google search of "css display table-cell"
> (without the quotes). It is a tutorial, and there are others there too that
> show how to use "table-cell", but don't mention any necessity for a
> "display:table-*" parent. The #1 result, a page from QuirksMode [1], has
> this text, in regard to using "display: table-cell": "Safari and Chrome
> require elements with display: table and display: table-row to show the
> cells correctly. The other browsers don't."

Yeah, I suspected that probably appeared in the wild.

In that case, just take my suggested rewrite, and change rule 4 to
wrap a table block around the content, rather than suppressing it.  We
shouldn't have to look for siblings to extend the wrapper to, either -
they should have been taken care of by the previous rules.
Specifically, bare table-cell elements will get wrapped together in a
table-row block, which will then be wrapped in a table-row-group
block, and now would be wrapped into a table block as well.