Re: [CSS21] Concern about anonymous table objects and whitespace

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 11:09:23 -0500
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
CC: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, www-style@w3.org

Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> Well, only if you're throwing around table-* display types, which
> despite their usefulness are still definitely minority display types
> (and I expect them to stay that way).

Interestingly enough, I actually came across a use case my proposal
would break this morning.  See
(which links to an example page at
in case the stackoverflow page goes away).

The markup basically looks like this, stripped down:

   <ul style="display: table">
     <li style="display: inline-table">
       <h1 style="display: table-cell">Some header text</h1>
       <dl style="display: table-cell">
         <dt style="display: inline">Something</dt>
         <dd style="display: inline-block">Something else</dd>
         <dt style="display: inline">And more</dt>
         <dd style="display: inline-block">And yet more</dd>

except there are several such <li> blocks.  So it seems like this sort
of thing really is being used in the wild, and this isn't even a
completely ridiculous use case (just want a table with the list-items as
cells, but each list-item is also a table itself).

> I can see problems in the case that, say, a display:table container
> gets switched to display:block, perhaps by script, which would cause
> its contents to be completely suppressed.  Is it possible for CSS to
> do a display-orphaning, analogous to the normal table orphaning but
> without actual DOM changes?

I don't think that would be desirable....

>> He also pointed out that there is existing spec text that requires the sort
>> of lookahead that makes me unhappy, and in particular that blocks inside
>> inlines require it.
> Is that truly a display issue, or is that part of the HTML algorithm?

Display.  We're talking things like: