Re: [selectors] [css3-content] The ::inside pseudo-element

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 13:36:08 -0500
To: Giovanni Campagna <scampa.giovanni@gmail.com>
CC: www-style@w3.org

Giovanni Campagna wrote:
> How would you do that? If you display the ::before with inline-block, it
> will not float (only block can float), neither it will text-align unless
> you manually widen the inline-block box (but it will align left of the
> widened block, not left of the table-cell).
>
> (The use case is the same as the first post, aligning generated content
> to the start edge of a table-cell, while putting the dom content aligned
> on the right, like in Microsoft Excel "Contability" formatting)

Ok, I seem to really be missing something.  Let's step back for a
second.  Forget generated content.  Let's say you can edit the HTML to
produce the effect you want.  What would the original HTML+CSS (before
the effect has been produced) look like?  What would the final HTML+CSS
(with the effect produced) look like?

-Boris