Re: [css3-fonts] new editor's draft

From: John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 06:40:17 -0800 (PST)
To: Jonathan Kew <jonathan@jfkew.plus.com>, www-style <www-style@w3.org>

> I'd suggest that for TrueType/OpenType fonts, the PostScript name (ID
> = 6) is probably the best choice. Unlike the Full name, this is not
> subject to localization, and it should be equally adequate to uniquely
> identify a particular font on the system. (That's not guaranteed, of
> course, but if the user has conflicting fonts installed locally, I
> don't think that's our problem here.)

I agree that relying on Postscript names would be best.  But I don't
think there's good support for Postscript name lookups across all
platforms (e.g. Windows GDI).

I could be wrong about this but aren't Postscript names
technically optional?  I'm sure most fonts have them these days but that
may not be true for older TrueType fonts.