[css3-background] "background-position" and bidirectionality

From: Jens Meiert <jens@meiert.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 11:01:12 +0100
To: www-style@w3.org

> <http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-background/#the-background-position>
>
> <length>
>     A length value gives a fixed length as the offset. For example, with a value
> pair of '2cm 1cm', the upper left corner of the image is placed 2cm to the right
> and 1cm below the upper left corner of the background positioning area.

Are there any plans to (finally) take into account bidirectionality in
case of length values for "background-position"?

For example, in conjunction with "direction: rtl" the example above
could mean "with a value pair of '2cm 1cm', the upper right corner of
the image is placed 2cm to the left and 1cm below the upper right
corner of the background positioning area". That spec change might not
be compatible, but I'm confident that there are solutions for that
too, and be it a "background-direction" property.

--
Jens Meiert
http://meiert.com/en/