Re: @page margin boxes and text-decoration

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 13:30:02 -0800
To: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
CC: Michael Day <mikeday@yeslogic.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>, "Grant, Melinda" <melinda.grant@hp.com>

Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
> * Michael Day wrote:
>> In this example, will the text be underlined:
>> @page {
>>     text-decoration: underline;
>>     @top { content: "Hello, world!" }
>> }
>> The text-decoration property is not inherited, but when applied to
>> blocks it does result in the decoration being applied to all the
>> children of the block.
> I am unsure where the confusion arises from, according to the draft the
> text-decoration declaration sets the initial value of the property in
> the margin boxes, so, as I understand that, this would essentially be
> the same as
>   @page { @top {
>     text-decoration: underline;
>     content: "Hello, world!"
>   } }
> See <http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-page/#page-properties>.

Please refer to the latest Editor's Draft, as there have been many
fixes and clarifications to the spec since its last official publication.

The new draft explicitly uses the normal inheritance mechanism to
propagate values from @page to @margin-box.

Wrt text-decoration

CSS2.1 says that "for all other elements, the decorations are propagated
to an anonymous inline box that wraps all the in-flow inline children of
the element, and to any block-level in-flow descendants". It looks like
we'll need to specify in css3-page that @margin-boxes are to be considered
descendants of the @page box.