Re: @page margin boxes and text-decoration

From: Michael Day <mikeday@yeslogic.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 18:35:58 +1100
To: Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com>
CC: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>, "Grant, Melinda" <melinda.grant@hp.com>

Hi Alex,

> Your inheritance concern is not about @page, it is about text-decoration, right? That is true, inheritance rules for that are unique ("see prose" is the best we can do for formal definition)... otherwise paged media doesn't make inheritance more difficult - or does it?

This is the spec text:

"""
These properties can be used in the page context to style the content of
margin boxes:

     * color,
     * font properties,
     * text properties

That is, when set in the page context, the values become the initial
values for the margin boxes.
"""

This does not include all inheritable properties, and it includes some
properties which are not inherited, such as text-decoration and related
properties (eg. text-underline-color, text-underline-style).

It seems easier to say that any inheritable property applied to @page
will be inherited by margin boxes, in the same manner as inheritance is
performed on elements. Non-inheritable properties can also be explicitly
inherited to margin boxes by using the "inherit" keyword.

I think this makes the inheritance much more explicit in terms of how it
works and how it should be implemented, and the implementation may be
easier as well as it will be identical to element property inheritance.

Best regards,

Michael

--
Print XML with Prince!