Re: Proposal for limited :matches pseudoclass

Eduard Pascual wrote:
> I hope we can all agree on that. IMHO, the inability to select some
> part of the document for styling based on its children is currently
> the biggest drawback in CSS, and the source of lots of frustration.
> If we can agree on that need, then we can start discussing the
> possible solutions.
> Here goes my opinion about the different proposals:
>
> About :matches(), I'd normally just use them to light fires... jokes
> aside, it brings in a (maybe needlessly) confusing syntax for
> something that, IMHO, is quite essential. I can't opine any further on
> it, because I'm still struggling to understand how it would work.

The problems are not in the language design.  The problems that need to
be solved are engineering and and end user usability ones.  One needs to
have a mechanism that is fast and minimises the need to backtrack or
delay rendering,

I appreciate that, nowadays, there is a significant lobby for the
position that CSS should not protect authors against themselves, but
that doesn't change the fact that the lack of this feature is the result
of factors other than language design.
--
David Woolley