Re: [css3-background] does border-radius round the border-image ?

From: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 09:54:28 -0800
Cc: www-style@w3.org
To: "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>

On Jan 9, 2009, at 4:27 PM, L. David Baron wrote:

> On Friday 2009-01-09 16:20 -0800, Brad Kemper wrote:
>> # Specifies an image to use instead of the borders created by the
>> ‘border-style’, 'border-width',  'border-color', 'border-radius', and
>
> border-width does matter some of the time.
>
>> 'box-shadow' properties and an additional background image for the
>> element. Unless the value is ‘none’ or if the image cannot be
>> displayed,
>> the element will be displayed as if border-style and 'box-shadow' had
>> value of 'none' and 'border-radius' had a value of 0, and only
>> 'border-image' will be used to generate any border, curved corner,
>> or box
>> shadow effects.
>
> If the border-image had the curve built in, wouldn't you want the
> border-radius to continue to apply to the background?

Yes, you are right. I've played with the effect a little more now, and
did some testing, and agree that the background (and foreground)
should still be clipped by the curves of the border-radius. But border-
image should remain unaffected, because border-image is there to
create a different border than what border-radius applies to. And box-
shadow should also be hidden by border-image, for the same reason
(because border-image is there to create a different border than what
box-shadow applies to).