Point of order (was : [css3-multicol] Typos)

From: Philip TAYLOR <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 16:50:35 +0000
To: www-style@w3.org
CC: Giovanni Campagna <scampa.giovanni@gmail.com>

Inspired by Giovanni's observation (below), I took a quick look
at the cited draft, and found fairly early on in the text
the following :

> An individual who has actual knowledge of a patent which
> the individual believes contains Essential Claim(s) must
> disclose the information in accordance with section 6 of
> the W3C Patent Policy.

Whilst I am reasonably confident that this is so-called
"boilerplate" text, it seems to me to be making an
assertion to which the W3C has no right : that is, that
/any/ individual (not just a member of the WG, or of W3C)
who "has actual knowledge of a patent which the individual
believes contains Essential Claim(s)" /must/ "disclose the
information in accordance with section 6 of the W3C Patent
Policy".  Has this statement ever been vetted by the W3C's
lawyers ?

Philip TAYLOR
--------