Re: background-position-x & y

From: Zack Weinberg <zweinberg@mozilla.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 13:44:33 -0800
To: Faruk Ateş <faruk@apple.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

Faruk Ateş <faruk@apple.com> wrote:

> In that case (responding to both bits above), the sprite()
> functionality should probably be defined as _overriding_ any url()
> values that might be set, or it might get really convoluted.

Can't we just use the usual last-setting-wins,
ignore-properties-with-unrecognizable-value rules for that?

> background-image: url(foo.png);
> background-image: sprite(my_sprite.png, 10px, 20px, 10px, 11px);

I am opposed to changes that introduce new places where you don't have
to put quotation marks around a URL, as each such place requires
special-casing in the grammar.  (Also, "," can legitimately appear in
a URL.) Either of

 sprite(<string>, ...)
 sprite(<uri>, ...)

would be fine, with <string> my preference to minimize typing.

zw