Re: CSS Transitions Feedback

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 13:51:22 -0600
To: "Dean Jackson" <dino@apple.com>
Cc: "Lachlan Hunt" <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>, www-style@w3.org, "Rune Lillesveen" <rune@opera.com>

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 12:12 PM, Dean Jackson <dino@apple.com> wrote:
> Just to make sure we are all thinking the same thing. In the following
> example:
>
> transition-property: border;
> transition-duration: 1s;
>
> If I now apply a style rule "border-top-width: 2px", do you expect to see a
> transition?

I would expect to see a transition.

An alternate reasonable proposal would be that I would *not* see a
transition, as only changes made explicitly to the "border" property
will trigger.  This requires the author to be more explicit, but would
at least be sensible.  I don't see any particular reason to do this
over the general "yes, you'll see a transition" proposal, though, and
since the "yes" answer is much simpler for authors, I prefer it.

The proposal that I am completely against is the one where shorthand
properties are automatically expanded in the transition-property list,
and then matched against the (unchanged) transition-duration list.
(In particular, would that make *any* sense in the case of plain
'border'?  Is there a canonical ordering of the non-shorthand
properties that make it up?)