Re: Proposal for limited :matches pseudoclass

From: James Elmore <James.Elmore@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 11:03:24 -0800
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>

On Jan 14, 2009, at 8:51 AM, fantasai wrote:

>> fantasai wrote:
>>> :matches would take a normal selector rather than a fragment that
>>> begins with a combinator (which seems very unbalanced to me, like
>>> passing a mathematical function an expression that began with the
>>> multiplication symbol). It would just be restricted to only allow
>>> the > and + combinators.

[Sorry about the nesting, my mail editor added it and I can't seem to
delete it.]

Anyway -- using ":matches" seems unclear. The matching is against
selectors, so it should be something like ":match_selector" or
":selector_match". This would allow later addition of ":text_match"
for (previously proposed) regex-like matches and possibly even other
types of matches, if they are proposed. But simply using ":matches"
would cause confusion at the beginning and limitations later for any
'match' extensions in CSS.

</James>