Hortizontal filler

From: Giuseppe Bilotta <giuseppe.bilotta@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 23:26:09 -0500
To: www-style@w3.org

Hello all,

I'm going nuts trying to obtain a purely CSS, no tables, no images
horizontal filler. A short explanation of my problem: with a
particular piece of code, we have the following situation:

[outer box [an inner box]               ]

where the outer box takes the whole viewport width, and inner box is
contained in it, starting right after the actual textual content of
the outer box.

Now, we would like the outer and inner boxes to be links, which is not
allowed by HTML, so we need to turn the layout into something like the
following:

[[outer box][inner box][filler ]]

where the outer box is not really outer anymore. [outer box] and
[filler] will be links (linking to what the outer box would link to),
so [filler] has to be an actual element, not just empty space.

Note that this is not a column layout, as the content of the outer box
might be multi-line, giving

|[outer box .... with lots of text |
|...continued] [inner box][filler ] |

so the column layout solutions that one finds through web searches are
not adequate. I've repeatedly gone through the CSS specification, but
I couldn't come up with a solution for this problem. Any suggestions
appreciated.

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta