Re: [css3-background] does border-radius round the border-image ?

On Jan 10, 2009, at 12:17 PM, David Hyatt wrote:

> I think border-radius should clip the border-image, just as it clips
> the background.  In many cases I believe the border-radius should
> clip the foreground too.  Border-image alone is not able to dictate
> this clipping behavior, so a designer *is* going to need to set both
> in order to clip the background and foreground content, regardless
> of fallback intentions.

No question that it should clip the background (and foreground
replaced elements) when there is no border-image. I can even see the
point of maintaining that behavior on those parts (but not border-
image) when border-image IS in use. The border-image might contain a
more complex clipping (using a PNG, for instance), than the border-
radius could achieve on its own. That might be the use case for using
them together, in fact. The only use case for having the border-radius
clip the border-image, is if they both have the exact same path to
clip to anyway.

> I think it's inconsistent that this clip effect, which we'd like to
> apply to the whole box in the case of content like images, would
> "turn off" just for a single piece of the box (a specified border
> image).  I don't think the fallback use case is particularly
> interesting or relevant here.

The turning off would be similar to how the other border properties
are turned off, and the more traditional border is not generated.

The fallback use case is what I image a major reason would be for
using border-image and border-radius together. Especially if images
are turned off in the browser or have not loaded yet.