RE: [css3-page][css3-multicol] margins at page or column breaks

From: Grant, Melinda <melinda.grant@hp.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 01:22:30 +0000
To: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>

Håkon said:
>   In the normal flow, page breaks may occur at the following places:
>
>     In the vertical margin between sibling block boxes (or rows in a
>     table). When a page break occurs here...
>
> I wonder if the word "sibling" should be removed. For
> example, a page break should be allowed before and after the
> P element:

Agree. Done (in the group version; I'll push a new version out to dev in a couple of days). Noted that 2.1 is ok on this point.

>  > 2. Margins at forced page breaks will be set to zero?
>
> According to the spec, yes. (But I vaguely recall discussing
> this and reaching a different answer? Melinda? It could be
> argued that pages after forced page breaks should be treated
> like the first page.)

Yes, we've struggled with this.  I don't think either answer fits all scenarios, so I think we'll need a control here, as XSL-FO has done.  We have pretty strong interop for 2.1, so I don't think we want to change this now.  (Arguments to the contrary, Michael?)

Best wishes,

Melinda